You can find a great variety of Thai soups which are both healthy and easy to prepare.
To make Vegan Tom Yum Soup we will need :
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or mirin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 sliced shallots
- 7 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks of pounded and bruised lemongrass which is the main ingredient
- 3 thin slices of fresh galangal root
- 5 green Thai chili peppers, optional, to your liking in spice level
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 baby bok choy
- 2 zucchini
- 2 small orange sweet peppers
- 2 small sweet red peppers
- 1 cup of baby broccoli crowns
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sautéed tofu
Let’s start the process of cooking.
Firstly, we need to add the shallots, garlic and tablespoon of coconut oil into the pot on medium heat for 5 minutes then add the rice wine and allow leave it to cook for 2 minutes.
Now we can add the vegetable broth, the lemongrass, galangal root, chili peppers, kaffir lime leaves and cook them for 5 minutes. Then we can add the coconut milk into the soup.
Now it is time to add the vegetables – bok choy, sweet peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, zucchini and cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat. Be careful not to over-boil the vegetables, especially the bok choy and broccoli as they need to be fresh.
The galangal root, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass need to be served separately in a bowl.
Serve the soup in wide bowls and add fresh grated ginger and squeeze lime juice and cilantro leaves.