Welcome the dish of the day – chicken pad Thai recipe. The Internet is full of improvised versions of this recipe which have lost their specific flavor due to changes.
I will share with you the traditional recipe I have learnt during my visit to Thailand from the host of the house I was renting. This is the original chicken pad Thai recipe that is worth trying.
What do we need to have at hand in order to make this dish? Nothing extraordinary, simple things.
- Some flat rice noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 piece of large chicken breast skin and bone already removed.
- The chicken breast needs to be chopped into bite-sized pieces and you need to add salt and pepper to your taste
- ⅓ cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- ¼ cup sliced white onion which is milder compared to other kinds of onions
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Peanuts if you like
For the sauce you will need :
- Some ketchup
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (found in the Asian section at most grocery stores)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- juice of 1 lime or lemon
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
How to make it? – Two top simple steps;
- Add some salt and pepper to the chicken. Cook chicken in a pan with medium heat, stirring all the time until fully cooked, usually about 6-8 minutes. Then take the chicken and put aside.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and put aside. Add eggs to the same hot pan where chicken was cooked, fry for a minute and add the onions and bean sprouts, after which chicken and sauce will be added. Then we add noodles and toss. Finally, add green onions and cilantro and peanuts if you like.